Friday, May 29, 2009

Dear Howard


Dear Howard,

I am interrupting your blog to ask you to please not get any older. I notice that this summer is starting out rougher on you than usual. You never have liked the heat, but I notice that you are slowing down more and more because of it. Don't worry, you and me will fight Brad to keep the air at a comfortable degree in the house. I've got your back boy, just like you have always had mine.

You are an old man now, and while you can be so gosh darn demanding, like most old men are, I love you more than ever. I'll never forget you as the little puppy that I picked up and brought home to keep me company in Arizona. I left you in the laundry room while I went to pick-up food and toys for you at the store, and you were so scared that you peed all over the floor while I was gone and was crying when I got back. I'm sorry boy, I should have known better, but I was young and you were one of my first responsibilities being newly married and on my own. Not long after that we settled into a routine. Brad would be gone 3 days a week, and you and I battled it out for who was in charge. You were one wild puppy, and if I failed to walk you one night you would run your race track around the living room barking your fool head off at me.

Remember Chuck, the crazy man who lived behind us and drank too much and barked at you? Thanks for making me feel safer around him. You always have been a good judge of character. I'll never forget the time at the dog park by the lake, that you would not leave this strange man alone. You would get approximately six feet away from him and bark and bark and bark. Brad would go get you, but you would head right back over there each time until we had to finally leave. It was embarrassing, but I know you knew something was off with him and I didn't doubt you for a minute.

You are so much more well-behaved now, and I love this picture of you and Aflac. You have had Aflac now for 2 years, and he is still intact because when we tell you to "be nice to the duck," you lick him. What other dog would mind so well?

You, Brad, and I are all 11 years older. We've been through a lot together, and you've always made the journey more enjoyable and entertaining. I know you've got more good years in you, but dogs don't live nearly long enough.

All my love,
Julie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I only respond directly to Howard...he has cataracts...at least he still has his nose to smell the world...hope he chews that bastard Gilbert Gottfried duck to pieces