Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A Sweet Moment in Time

Black Kitty has been taking over for Orange Effer. I wonder where Orange Effer is? I hope he is okay.

What was I just thinking? Must be the heat getting to my head. It is soooo hot out there, but it doesn't keep me from getting my walks. Nosiree!

I need a vacation to Santa Barbara. I miss the boat days. When I was a young pup, I would make the Santa Barbara trip with Brad once in awhile. I would ride around with him in his little white Ford Ranger, while he called on his customers. I'd like to say I was always patient and behaved myself, but that would be a lie, and I Howard do not lie.

One of my favorite things to do was sit patiently when someone tried to walk up to the truck to pet me, and when they would get close enough, I would do my best Cujo impersonation. (Insert Mutley the cartoon dog laugh here)

Oh those were the days...I had a great routine. Start the day between 7 and 9 a.m. Stop by Brad's shop, and get a treat and pat on the head from the neighbor who just so happened to be Brad's dad. Drive around downtown Santa Barbara for awhile. Make a trip up to the Mission where I would get a little walk. If it started to get hot after that, I would be really, really naughty so that Brad would know it was time to take me to the boat for a nap.

On the boat, I would nap in the nice cool ocean breeze listening to sails clanging against the masts. The garlicky, sweet smells coming from Brophy's and Stearns Wharf gently scenting the air.

Around 5 p.m. or so Brad would come back and get me, and then take me on a nice long walk along the breakwater. I loved that walk, except on Wet Wednesdays when the yacht club did their racing. The gun shots would always scare me. So would the seals that occasionally swam around in the harbor. I mean, fish are not supposed to bark, right?

Back to the boat we would go, where Brad would grill up something delicious and share it with me. Then we would hang-out on the deck of the boat and watch the sun go down before turning in for the night.

It was heaven for me. A sweet moment in time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

....and now you wake up from your reverie and have Black Effer to deal with...tsk tsk...I went to UCSB for a while and remember that area well....I used to ride my bike into town on the excellent bike paths they had...now you're reduced to going into kitchen garbage cans...you need to get your boss to take you back to SB for a weekend or something

Howard said...

THAT would be awesome Anon. I think I deserve it.