Thursday, June 11, 2009

Rule the School

I need a new collar. A handsome devil like me deserves to look good.



As I was on my evening walk with Brad, this lady stops us and says to Brad, "I don't know what it is about your dog, but my dog just goes crazy when he sees him!"

What is it about other dogs that makes them lose their minds in my presence?

Do they want to fight me?

Why is fighting always the first thing on my mind? Maybe the little effers just wanted to be my friends, but I'll never know because I CANNOT AND WILL NOT BACK DOWN FROM BEING THE TOP DOG.

That is why a place like doggy day care would NEVER work for me. Not in a million years. I would be kicked out the first 10 minutes and asked to never return. You should have seen me in obedience school. I wasn't necessarily at the head of the class, but you can bet your puppy chow that the other dogs respected me. Even as a young puppy, happy and free, I still had a commanding presence.

Let me take you back in time for a moment...

Just picture me driving up in the white truck with Brad...my ears flopping in the breeze. As I get closer, the other puppies heads whip around and start to whisper to each other, "There is Howie...he is such a stud." I deftly jump out of the truck and run over to meet my peeps, and they all roll over on their backs to show their respect for me. But then, there is always one who must challenge me, and must be corrected by me. I fight him. Brad pulls me off by my tail, but that dog now knows that he cannot get me to back down. Another one fears me. I, Howard, rule the school.

Don't tell Brad, but I did learn a few things there. He's the only one who has ever been able to dominate me and get away with it. So if you are looking to get a puppy, or already have one, I highly recommend obedience school. I would be a hot mess without it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When pack meets with pack in the jungle, and neither will go from the trail,
Lie down till the leaders have spoken; it may be fair words shall prevail.
The kill of the pack is the meat of the pack. Ye must eat where it lies;
And no one may carry away of that meat to his lair, or he dies.
Now these are the laws of the jungle, and many and mighty are they;
But the head and the hoof of the law and the haunch and the hump is—Obey!
-Rudyard Kipling